Friday, May 27, 2011

You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do

Yep, that is right, if you are committed to something, you do whatever it takes to get the job done even if it means having to learn how to do new things. I learned one new thing this week. I was running late to my Mt. Diablo ride in Walnut Creek. I had no idea it would take me an hour to get there from Berkeley. So at 6:18 when I was just getting on to Ygnacio Valley and I saw it was completely backed up with cars, I realized I wasn't going to be able to roll with the group at 6:30, since I hadn't even changed into my biking gear yet. So did I panic? OK, yes, but just for a little bit. But then I realized, I had the necessary skills and experience to deal with this situation. I was on swim team for about 12 years growing up. I can't count the number of times I have done a deck change (a deck change is where you change completely into or out of your swimsuit on deck, using a towel or parka, so that none of your lady parts-or manly parts-are revealed to the world). Sure I was in bumper to bumper traffic, but I figured I could change into my biking gear using the same philisophy.

So at the red lights I put my car in park and put on the parking break...then I was able to put my sports bra on, underneath my shirt, but over my bra. Then I took my bra off, and since I had a sports bra on was able to take off my shirt and put on my bike jersey. Sports bras are totally acceptable to be worn in public, because they are like swimsuit tops or really small tank tops. :) That part was easy, but then I had to get my shoes and pants off and put my bike pants on.

Now this is when it got tricky. See you aren't supposed to wear underwear with bike pants, but that would have meant sitting in my car completely bare from the waste down for a time while I switched pants. Even though I doubted anyone would be able to see, that just seemed like I would be a little too exposed, so I made an executive decision to keep my panties on. So, with the car in park at the red light I was able to get my jeans off, but then the light turned green...by the next light I had one leg of my bike pants on and I was thinking, this would have been a lot easier if I had brought bike shorts instead of bike pants...but it was too late then. As I was driving up to Sports Basement I was able to pull up the pants and wa-la! My very first in traffic deck change had been completed and with no one the wiser....well I guess until now and now all of you know.

The point to this story is: Things may seem difficult or impossible, but there is always a way to figure out how to get them done. Sometimes you may have to take risks (like I was thinking what was I going to do if a cop pulled me over when I was driving with no pants on), but if you don't take risks, then you won't know what is possible!

Sorry, no pictures for this story. it was hard enough just getting this all done without trying to document it, plus the pictures might not have been appropriate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment