Monday, August 27, 2012

42 Last Week, 41 This Week

No, I am not getting younger, and by the way, I am not even in my forties yet, thank you very much! 42 is the number of miles I ran last week for my marathon training and 41 will be the number of miles I will run this week for my marathon training. Crazy, huh? I mean, I know I just did two Ironmans, but when training for them we were swimming and biking, and working out A LOT, but we never had to run more than 40 miles in a week, in fact, I think I only ran over 20 miles in a week a couple of times.

So do I like it? I think I do. I really like not having to swim. Chlorine is yucky, and my goggles always leak, and since it's never warm in the Bay Area, the thought of swimming never seems very appealing. I also like not having to drag my bike and all my gear around with me every where I go. I mean, I still love to ride, and get a ride in every Tuesday with my OSB buds (if you are free on Tuesday nights from 6:30 to 8:30 you should join us!) but it's so nice not to have to bring it with me every weekend!

And you know what? Running is kind of fun. You might think it would get monotonous, doing the same thing every day. But each run is so different and unique. Last Wednesday night I ran 9 miles at Inspiration Point. The fog was rolling in, the wind was blowing so hard, I felt like I was going to fall over. I was out at the very end of the trail all by myself, thinking that zombies were probably going to come out and chase me:


And then on Saturday I was running 5 miles on the American River trail. Even though it was only five miles, we didn't start until 11am, so it was super hot, and I felt miserable. It took every ounce of determination for me to keep going and not stop and walk. But then the next day we woke up at 6am, started at the exact same location and ran 18 miles. That 18 miles was mentally easier than the 5, since it was so early, and nice and cool, and there were so many people out running with us. It was really enjoyable.

So far I'm loving training for a marathon (ok, well two marathons). Maybe after this I will go back to tris. But for right now it's a good break.

Running from the zombies at Inspiration Point

No comments:

Post a Comment