Thursday, September 9, 2010

What did I get myself into?

What is an Ironman you ask? Well it is an endurance event for extremely good athletes and then crazy people like me. You start by swimming 2.4 miles, then you take a short bike tour of 112 miles, and when you are finished with that you only have to jog 26.2 miles to the finish line.  Oh and you have to finish it all in 17 hours, or you don't get a finisher's medal. So why did I sign up to do this event before I have ever even done a Half Ironman?  Please refer the the earlier statement that I am crazy. However, besides my insanity, there is also the obsessive compulsive part of my personality, that has now decided to be completely obsessed with triathlons.  Oh, and I really love Team in Training and the fact that I am helping to raise money to find a cure for blood cancers.

So this Sunday is Big Kahuna, my first Half Ironman.  I'll be swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56 miles, and then running 13.1 miles.  If I can finish this in less than 8 hours, I think I should be good for the Ironman which I will need to finish in less than 17 hours. If I can't finish in that amount of time...well I guess I have a year to get into better shape.  Or I guess I could find another Emily Walton to sell my IM Canada race entry to.  Actually there are tons of Emily Waltons, if you look my name up on facebook you will see. But I wonder how many of them are going to do an Ironman?  Hm...I wish you could put that in your search criteria for friends on facebook!

Well I guess I will be posting again next week when I am half an Iron Lady.  For now, here is a picture of two future half Iron Ladies, me and my friend Steph.  Oh and if you are in Santa Cruz on Sunday, you should come watch me compete!

2 comments:

  1. You are so going to rock this Emily! I will be there in Canada to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Unstoppable, Em! Thx for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete