Monday, January 10, 2011

Sometimes I'm Not the Sharpest Tool in the Shed

Since Christmas I have been obsessed with swimming in Aquatic Park.  I got my neoprene swim booties and my neoprene swim cap, and I thought I was ready for the cold.  I thought all of my friends were being a bunch of wimps for not wanting to join me.  My attempt to ring in the New Year with an open water swim was delayed because of being sick, but this weekend I finally convinced Bonnie and Eddie to go swimming with me!

When we got there, there were five people swimming without wetsuits, so I thought the water must be warm.  Well, maybe not warm, but at least acceptably cool.  How wrong I was!  My plans to swim 60 minutes were foiled by the fact that my hands froze into claws and I couldn't even keep my fingers together to push back the water correctly. And then there was the fact that I couldn't even swim freestyle because I would get a headache from the cold when I put my face in the water...so after 30 minutes of mostly back stroke, I realized that I don't always have the best ideas, and we got out of the water to run our 6 miles.

Sherri had the right idea showing up after the swim, just to do the run.  And finally after 6 miles my feet had thawed out, and I had warmed up a little.

And then afterward we got to go eat Pulled Pork Sliders...now there I made a good decision, because they were awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment